By ANNA GORMAN
To me, sprouts are pretty magical. You start with these tiny seeds, add a little water and time, and the sprouts will grow themselves, no soil required! It's the coolest thing to see the seed split and start growing right before your eyes. Once they're grown, you can throw them in or on just about anything - mix them into a salad, blend them into a smoothie, add them to a sandwich, toss them into a stir-fry, or use them as garnish for soup! The possibilities never stop growing.
Continue reading to grow your own sprouts and even incorporate them into your breakfast!
1. Make sure your Alfalfa insert is snapped into the Inner Container. Add 1/4 cup Sandwich Blend and fill sprouter with warm water. Let seeds soak about 8 hours.
2. Drain the water and make sure to loosen the seeds so they have room to breathe. Empty water from Outer Container, and place either the Dome or Vented Lid onto the Sprouter.
3. Wait 24 hours, then fill the sprouter with room temp water, and loosen and stir sprouts with a fork. Allow seeds to soak for 5 - 15 minutes before draining well. Repeat the soak + drain process 2x a day until Sprouter is full!
Follow the same process for a mason jar sprouter. Make sure you have thorough drainage, or else the sprouts may rot.
1. Toast the sourdough to your preferred level of brownness. While the bread is toasting, fry (or scramble!) the egg in a little bit of olive oil.
2. When the bread is done, spread the cream cheese on one side and season with salt and pepper. On the other side, lay down the tomatoes and shredded carrots.
3. When the egg is finished, gently lay it on top of the carrots. Finally, top the sandwich with your home grown sprouts! Enjoy!
Possible other additions: mashed avocado, bacon, black beans, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers.
16oz Mason Jar
Sandwich Blend Sprouting Seeds
Tag @FairfaxBackyardFarmer in your FB or instagram posts for a chance to be featured!
135 Bolinas Rd
Special Graduation Hours
Friday June 12
Sat June 13
Sun June 14
11am - 3pm
June 15- June 19
Closed for Vacation
available for Curbside Pickup, Doorway Sales
and Local Delivery